On November 30, the General meeting of scientists of the Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) elected the new Scientific Board (SB). 90 or 86% of the LIOS scientists took part in the elections. For the next four years Scientific Board will consist of the following elects:
Prof. Dr. chem. Aigars Jirgensons, prof. Dr. chem. Edgars Sūna, prof. Dr. chem. Kristaps Jaudzems, Dr. chem. Osvalds Pugovičs, Dr. chem. Pāvels Arsenjans, Dr. chem. Gints Šmits, prof. Dr. pharm. Maija Dambrova, Dr. chem. Jānis Veliks, Dr. chem. Aiva Plotniece, Dr. chem. Mārtiņš Katkevičs, asoc. prof. Dr. chem. Raivis Žalubovskis, Dr. chem. Vita Ozola, Dr. chem. Ilga Mutule, Dr. pharm. Edgars Liepiņš, Dr. chem. Liene Grigorjeva.
In accordance with the received applications from Dr. chem. Osvalds Pugovičs un prof. Dr. chem. Aigars Jirgensons for the postponement of the SB mandates until the end of the term of Director and Deputy Director and in line with the Statute of the LIOS SB, their places for this period will be taken by Dr. chem. Kārlis Pajuste and Dr. med. Līga Zvejniece.
The newly-elected Scientific Board will commence work on December 19, 2022.
The competence of the SB includes:
- Decisions regarding reorganization or liquidation of the LIOS
- Approval of the LIOS regulations and budget
- Decisions regarding the establishment, reorganization or liquidation of the LIOS
- Decisions on the LIOS participation in associations and foundations
- Approval of the main directions of the LIOS’ scientific direction
- Election of the LIOS director and management board
- Academic position elections
- Initiating topics and deciding on the dismissal of a leading researcher, researcher or research assistant before the end of the term
- Approval of regulations for internal scientific competitions and motivation schemes
- SB secretary approval
- Nomination for awards
- Evaluation of the LIOS scientific project results and midterm reports
- Approval of the regulations and composition of the LIOS advisory boards
- Election of SB chairman and his deputy and adoption of decision on removal.