Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) is offering fixed term position (24 months, with possibility for extension) for a PostDoctoral researcher of Natural Products Research (NPR) group. The position is offered within the call HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-TALENTS-01 ERA Chair project Natalion.
The laboratory has strong expertise in the isolation and characterization of natural products and biosynthesis. We employ chemical biology to solve problems in human health. To achieve this goal, we focused on the discovery of microbial natural products from the Baltic area, which includes a fundamental understanding of their structures, biosynthesis, and biological activities. To further drive the research, we are closely collaborating with other groups at LIOS and the Italian biotech company, NAICONS. We offer a friendly, flexible, and innovative working environment. Three general research directions will be:
- accessing microbial diversity unique to the Baltic area
- setting up collections of microbial fermentation extracts
- establishing genomic and metabolomics platforms.
|Project||Natural Products Research at Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis as a Driver for Excellence in Innovation|
|Career profile||Recognised Researcher (R2)|
|Application Deadline||13 Oct 2023 – 17:00 (Europe/Brussels)|
Responsibilities and obligations
- To lead a project that involves the discovery of microbial natural products from the Baltic area.
- To identify the bioactive natural products by interdisciplinary approaches (bioinformatics, metabolomics, omics, bioassays-guided isolation).
- To characterize the bioactive natural products by spectroscopic techniques (LC-MS, NMR, and chemical derivatization/degradation/synthesis) and molecular biology techniques (heterologous expression and in vitro biochemical assay).
- To adhere to ethical standards.
- To respect contractual and legal obligations.
- To act according to professional standards.
- To have flexibility in working time.
- To have stability of employment.
- To have safe and up-to date work environment (incl. the right to define the necessary infrastructure).
- To enjoy equal non-discriminatory treatment throughout career development path.
- To choose measures for professional development.
- To receive agreed upon remuneration.
- To have rights to complaints and appeals.
- All the above mentioned responsibilities, rights, and obligations are enforced by employment contract and LIOS internal rules and regulations.
Basic salary EUR 45 000,- p.a. before tax.
Applications must be in English and include
- motivation letter
- optional – recommendation letters
Recruitment Committee members
- Prof. Stefano Donadio, ERA-Chair holder, LIOS
- Chin-Soon Phan, PhD, Leader of the Natural Products Research group, LIOS
- Prof. Aigars Jirgensons, LIOS Deputy Director for Science
- Dace Kārkle, LIOS Deputy Director of Administration, Finance and Law
- Asst. Prof. Emilio Parisini, the head of LIOS Biotechnology Group
- Zanda Jurjane, Executive Director of Association of the Latvian Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry