|Project||Natural Products Research at Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis as a Driver for Excellence in Innovation|
Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) is offering a fixed-term position of the leader of the Natural Products Research (NPR) group. The position is offered within the call HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-TALENTS-01 ERA Chair project Natalion.
The main research directions of the NPR group will be:
- focus on accessing microbial diversity unique to Baltic area;
- setting up collections of ready-to-screen microbial fermentation extracts;
- establishing metabolomics platform;
- establishing genomic platform.
Evaluation criteria and methodology for the recruitment of the leader of the Natural Products Research Group (download).
Responsibilities and obligations
- To establish and lead the NRP group (incl. recruitment and management of the group).
- To rise funding for and manage public and private competitive research projects.
- To coordinate research activities with other LIOS research groups leading to integration with other Chemical Biology expertise at LIOS.
- To engage in supervising of student research work (PhDs and MScs).
- To disseminate her/his research results in peer-reviewed scientific articles and to conduct other knowledge transfer activities.
- To commit for full period of the Natalion grant.
- To take due care of innovation management and be engaged on broader valorisation activities of the research results.
- To adhere to ethical standards.
- To respect contractual and legal obligations.
- To act according to professional standards.
- To have flexibility in working time.
- To have stability of employment.
- To have safe and up-to date work environment (incl. the right to define the necessary infrastructure).
- To enjoy equal non-discriminatory treatment throughout career development path.
- To enjoy scientific freedom in research activities in the domain of NPR.
- To freely choose (short-term) mobility.
- To enjoy IP and Co-authorship rights.
- To choose measures for professional development.
- To receive agreed upon remuneration.
- To conduct supervising of student research work.
- To have rights to complaints and appeals.
- To participate in decision making bodies, e.g. LIOS Scientific council.
- All the above mentioned responsibilities, rights, and obligations are enforced by employment contract and LIOS internal rules and regulations.
- Basic salary EUR 64 560,- p.a. before tax.
- Bonus payments for articles in high impact journals, supervised PhD and MSc thesis, awarded and managed public and private competitive projects.
- Health insurance.
- Dedicated funding for: a) training and short term mobility (e.g. scientific conferences); b) upgrade and build-up of infrastructure; c) development of NPR group (~5 FTEs) with secured financing for 5 years.
Applications must be in English and include
- motivation letter, particularly outlining experience in NPR;
- CV, including academic qualifications, mobility experience, management experience, teaching and supervising record (MSc and PhD thesis supervised), and fundraising experience (composition, number, and monetary volume of research projects);
- optional – recommendation letters on leadership skills and teamwork;
- research plan – will only have to be submitted at the second round of the selection process.
Recruitment Committee members
- Prof. Stefano Donadio, ERA-Chair holder, LIOS
- Prof. Aigars Jirgensons, LIOS Deputy Director for Science
- Dace Kārkle, LIOS Deputy Director of Administration, Finance and Law
- Assoc. Prof. Emilio Parisini, the head of LIOS Biotechnology Group
- Zanda Jurjane, Executive Director of Association of the Latvian Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry