Grant Agreement ID
01.01.2023. – 31.12.2027.
Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis
HORIZON.4.1 – Widening participation and spreading excellence (main)
HORIZON.4.1.3 – ERA-Chairs
Call for proposal
HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-TALENTS-01-01 – ERA Chairs
€ 2 499 950 (EU contribution)
Project web site
In order to sustain its competitive advantages in drug discovery, Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) needs closely to follow new trends and consequently upgrade the competencies in drug discovery. As a result of revealing untapped biological resources, advances in genome mining and engineering, and the availability of powerful analytical tools, natural products (NPs) as drug leads have revitalized the interest of pharma industry. Sourcing of NPs with high molecular diversity and wide spectrum of biological activity would strongly synergize with the existing LIOS competencies in drug discovery. This would constitute an efficient engine to develop new technologies and products with high innovation potential not only for the pharma industry but also for agricultural and animal health industries.
The aim of the project is to foster innovation excellence of LIOS by the establishment of Natural Products Research (NPR) group and implementation of LIOS Innovation hub as a complementary structural change.
The following activities are envisaged:
- recruitment of a top-level principal investigator as the head of the NPR group /link/;
- establishment of the NPR group, including its capacity build-up;
- setting up the research directions of the NPR group with the focus on new technologies and products;
- integration of activities of NPR group into internal and external collaborative projects including 3I mobility;
- increase competitiveness for attraction of external research funding;
- establishment of the LIOS Innovation hub and its integration into institutional, national and EU ecosystems;
- development of a motivating and inclusive institutional environment which fosters innovations and entrepreneurial culture;
- enabling institutional compliance to ERA priorities and UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- dissemination and exploitation of the results of the NPR group according to the plan for the Exploitation and Dissemination of Results and the communication plan.
Successful implementation of project Natalion will nurture brain circulation for researchers and innovators, improve research excellence and knowledge transfer, increase participation in EU Framework Programmes projects, and strengthen LIOS collaboration with industry.