H2020-WIDESPREAD-2018-04 ERAChair project, refinanced from European Structural and Investment Funds
01.05.2019. – 30.11.2023.
2.5 M EUR
Integrated biotechnology tools are playing a crucial role in modern drug discovery. To achieve scientific excellence, the Latvian Institute of Organic Synthesis (LIOS) aims to embed a missing biotechnology component in its existing expertise by establishing a high-performance drug discovery (LIOS-DD) platform. To reach this goal, outstanding academic with proven management skills and research excellence in biotechnology will be recruited triggering structural changes at LIOS, in particular, the establishment of the Biotechnology group and its integration with other research groups to form the LIOS-DD platform. The following activities are envisaged:
- recruitment of a top-level principal investigator as the head of the Biotechnology group and the coordinator of LIOS-DD platform
- establishment of the Biotechnology group
- development and implementation of a training program for research staff
- formation of LIOS-DD platform by integrating the Biotechnology group with other research groups of LIOS
- establishing a strategic research program of LIOS-DD platform
- achieving sustainable funding for the Biotechnology group from external competitive research projects
- enhancing compliance with ERA priorities including peer review, open recruitment, innovative doctoral training and gender balance
- increasing the visibility of BioDrug scientific excellence
The BioDrug project will improve research excellence and knowledge transfer, increase participation in EU FP projects and strengthen collaboration with industry. The project is in line with the Smart Specialization Strategy (RIS3) of Latvia and it will be complemented by ESIF and National funding constituting an effective tool for LIOS to induce structural changes towards scientific excellence.