In the Biotechnology lab, the structure and function of different biological systems are studied. Dr. Emilio Parisini’s current research interests are mostly at the interface between chemistry and biology and they focus primarily on the study of the interactions between proteins and their ligands, substrates or inhibitors. In particular, Biotechnology group is focusing on the functional and structural characterization of members of the cadherin family of cell adhesion proteins and on several different enzymes (such as oxidoreductases, lyases, kinases, phosphodiesterases and others) for diagnostic and therapeutic applications.
Dr. Emilio Parisini’s scientific background is in molecular biology, structural biology and solid state chemistry. He received a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Bologna (Italy) in 1995 and carried out post-doctoral research at the Universities of Göttingen (Germany, Jun 1995–Sep. 1997), Cambridge (U.K., Oct. 1997–Jun. 2001) and Harvard (U.S.A., Jul. 2001–Dec. 2009). In 2008, Dr. Emilio Parisini also obtained a M.Sc. in Epidemiology from Harvard University. From January 2010 to November 2019, he was a Team Leader at the Center for Nano Science and Technology of the Italian Institute of Technology in Milano (Italy).
Selected recent publications
- Cavalloro, V.; Russo, K.; Vasile, V.; Pignataro, L.; Torretta, A.; Donini, S.; Semrau, M. S.; Storici, P.; Rossi, D.; Rapetti, F.; Brullo, C.; Parisini, E.; Bruno, O.; Collina, S..Insight into GEBR-32a: chiral resolution, absolute configuration and enantiopreference in PDE4D inibition. Molecules 2020, 25, 935.
- Dalle Vedove, A.; Falchi, F.; Donini, S.; Dobric, A.; Germain, S.; Di Martino, G. P.; Prosdocimi, T.; Vettraino, C.; Torretta, A.; Cavalli, A.; Rigot, V.; Andre’, F.; Parisini, E. Structure-based virtual screening allows the identification of efficient modulators of E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2019, 20, 3404.
- Prosdocimi, T.; Mollica, L.; Donini, S.; Semrau, M. S.; Lucarelli, A. P.; Aiolfi, E.; Cavalli, A.; Storici, P.; Alfei, S.; Brullo, C.; Bruno, O.; Parisini, E. Molecular bases of PDE4D inhibition by memory-enhancing GEBR-library compounds. Biochemistry 2018, 57, 2876.
- Rigoldi, F.; Donini, S.; Giacomina, F.; Sorana, F.; Redaelli, A.; Bandiera, T.; Parisini, E.; Gautieri, A. Thermal stabilization of the deglycating enzyme Amadoriase I by rational design. Sci. Rep. 2018, 8, 3042.
- Nardone, V.; Lucarelli, A. P.; Dalle Vedove, A.; Fanelli, R.; Tomassetti, A.; Belvisi, L.; Civera, M.; Parisini, E. Crystal structure of human E-cadherin-EC1EC2 in complex with a peptidomimetic competitive inhibitor of cadherin homophilic interaction. J. Med. Chem. 2016, 59, 5089.
- Rigoldi, F.; Gautieri, A.; Dalle Vedove, A.; Lucarelli, A. P.; Vesentini, S.; Parisini, E. Crystal structure of the deglycating enzyme Amadoriase I in its free form and substrate-bound complex. Proteins 2016, 84, 744.
- Dalle Vedove, A.; Lucarelli, A. P.; Nardone, V.; Matino, A.; Parisini, E. The X-ray structure of human P-cadherin EC1-EC2 in a closed conformation provides insight into the type I cadherin dimerization pathway. Acta Crystallogr., Sect. F: Struct. Biol. Commun. 2015, F71, 371.