Prof. Kristaps Jaudzems
The main task of the Laboratory of Physical Organic Chemistry is to provide analytical services at the institute. The laboratory combines an array of physical chemistry techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, masspectrometry, X-ray diffraction, electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR), infrared spectroscopy as well as electrochemical methods to perform identification and characterization of synthetic compounds.
The Laboratory of Physical Organic Chemistry also performs studies of the molecular structure and its relationships to chemical reactivity, (bio)physical properties and biological activity of organic compounds. Research activities include structural studies of small molecules by NMR, masspectrometry and X-ray diffraction, structural studies of biological macromolecules (proteins and DNA) by NMR, protein-small molecule binding studies by NMR, SPR and ITC, pharmacokinetic and metabolic studies by masspectrometry, mechanistic studies of redox reactions and electrochemical synthesis as well as studies of free radicals in animal tissues by EPR etc.
- Otikovs M., Andersson M., Jia Q., Nordling K., Meng Q., Andreas L.B., Pintacuda G., Johansson J., Rising A., Jaudzems K. Degree of Biomimicry of Artificial Spider Silk Spinning Assessed by NMR Spectroscopy. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. (2017) 56: 12571–12575.
- Stepanovs D., Jure M., Gosteva M., Popelis J., Kiselovs G., Mishnev A. Crystal structures and physicochemical properties of diltiazem base and its acetylsalicylate, nicotinate and l-malate salts. CrystEngComm (2016) 18: 1235–1241.
- Leonova E., Sokolovska J., Boucher J.-L., Isajevs S., Rostoka E., Baumane L., Sjakste T., Sjakste N. New 1,4-Dihydropyridines Down-regulate Nitric Oxide in Animals with Streptozotocin-induced Diabetes Mellitus and Protect Deoxyribonucleic Acid against Peroxynitrite Action. Basic Clin. Pharmacol. Toxicol. (2016) 119: 19–31.
- Grinberga S., Dambrova M., Latkovskis G., Strele I., Konrade I., Hartmane D., Sevostjanovs E., Liepinsh E., Pugovics O. Determination of trimethylamine-N-oxide in combination with l-carnitine and γ-butyrobetaine in human plasma by UPLC/MS/MS. Biomed. Chromatogr. (2015) 29: 1670–1674.
- Turovska B., Lund H., Lusis V., Lielpetere A., Liepiņš E., Beljakovs S., Goba I., Stradiņš J. Photoinduced 1,2,3,4-tetrahydropyridine ring conversions. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. (2015) 11: 2166–2170.
- Lends A., Olszewska E., Belyakov S., Erchak N., Liepinsh E. NMR and quantum-chemical studies of electrostatically stabilized 1-(N,N-substituted-aminiomethyl)spirobi [3-oxo(2,5-dioxa-1-silacyclopentan)]ates (ES-silanates). Heteroatom Chemistry (2015) 26: 12–28.
- Petrova M., Muhamadejev R., Cekavicus B., Vigante B., Plotniece A., Sobolev A., Duburs G., Liepinsh E. Experimental and theoretical studies of bromination of diethyl 2,4,6-Trimethyl-1,4-dihydropyridine-3,5-dicarboxylate. Heteroatom Chemistry (2014) 25: 114–126.